The Technical Writer participates as a team member to provide end-user and technical documentation for IDS financial software products. Responsibilities include planning, designing, writing, and editing online help, installation and upgrade guides, API documentation, and other technical and business user documents as assigned. He/She will likely lead on individual projects related directly to core software releases.
Responsibilities also include occasional revision and reviewer support to other teams such as Sales Operations, Professional Services, and Product Management. The Technical Writer may be assigned additional projects not related directly to producing product documentation and requiring a fair amount of independent thought and work, usually as a member of a project team.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Create documentation plan for each product release, detailing high-level customer deliverables and required resources
- Plan, research, design, write, and edit product documentation
- Collaborate with developers, business analysts, and product experts to gain first-hand experience with the newly-developed technology, gaining the necessary experience needed to develop the required documentation
- Enhance technical communication knowledge through research or participation in the technical communication community as needed to ensure that IDS is employing best practices and using the most appropriate tools
- Understand and follow company, team, and individual processes and procedures as defined by company, manager, and/or team members
- Contribute to ongoing process improvement with specific focus on automation and improved efficiency
- Coordinate closely with project teams to provide estimates, status, and risks affecting the achievement of group goals and deadlines
- Over time, become a product expert, advocate for the end user, and contribute to the future direction of the product
- Provide editorial services and tactical contributions to peer writers in a professional and supportive fashion
- Participate in team efforts to achieve other departmental and company goals such as reviewing marketing materials, training documents, sales collateral, and other non-product deliverables
- Bachelor’s degree (BE / B.Tech), from a four-year college or University in CS or ECE or MCA or equivalent experience preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- 3 - 5 years of experience as a technical writer or related position
- General knowledge of enterprise software applications and an aptitude and desire to deeply understand how they function
- Demonstrated knowledge of technical communication best practices and processes
- Experience using Microsoft applications such as Word, Excel, and Visio
- Difference makers
- Technical writing experience in the context of a software development lifecycle
- Experience with MadCap Flare and related authoring tools
- Basic accounting knowledge
- Professional certification(s) in technical writing
- Active participation in technical writing professional groups or communities
Location: Bangalore, India
- Proven skills in writing English-language business documents with excellent organization, consistent style, proper grammar and usage, technical rigor, and high readability
- Ability to author documentation for software that is technically complex and/or involves complex financial principles and logic
- Ability to work with peer authors to establish and maintain consistency in organization, style, and depth of content across products and documents
- Understands information design and the nuance of delivering technical information to varying classes of readers
- Ability to work on multiple project deliverables within the same project cycles
- Enjoys learning on the job in order to develop more advanced writing skills and to learn department style guides, policies, and procedures
- Embraces new ideas, tools, and team direction to help the company and team move toward excellence and innovation
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to a diverse workforce.
Candidate must be able to pass criminal and credit background check.
(The experience criteria used above should not be seen as definitive. Applicants with less experience are invited to apply where they consider that they have relevant experience and/or qualifications that will meet the needs and responsibilities of the role)
Please submit your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org